The AABE was created in 2011 with the mission of promoting entrepreneurship, leadership and job creation. Our attendees have grown from 500 to over 1,000 within 3 years and are constantly growing as well as the numbers of partners. In addition to the annual expo consisting of a one-day exhibition, networking and informational tracks, we hold monthly events throughout the year that bring back the attendees and sponsors for continuing education and networking. See http://asianamericanbusinessexpo.com/ for more details.
Planned sessions for 2017:
- Cancelled for 2017
We provide a mutually beneficial platform for networking and skills building that will prepare individuals to participate in an engaged mentoring dialogue over course of a lifetime.
• Asian American still struggle with negotiating their cultural identity with family, work, and other social expectations to navigate effectively in the main stream society.
• Many mentoring studies show that individuals who receive mentoring do tend to earn more, promote faster, and receive more job leads and offers. Compared to those who have not participated in mentoring Asian Americans, by comparison to their counterparts do not as often volunteer for leadership assignments and feel isolated in the work place.
• Asian Americans are still rarely represented as leaders of corporations and organizations in most fields.
• OCA Chicago runs an annual MAAP program for 20 to 30 paired mentors and mentees. The program follows a set agenda and leadership teaching method over 3 convening. We have successfully graduated over 100 mentees over the years. We would like to offer 2 programs this year and is seeking funding for the second program.
• See http://www.ocanational.org/?page=maapOCAgreaterchicao for more schedule and location.
Planned sessions for 2017:
- Saturday 9/16/17
- Saturday 10/07/17
- Saturday 10/28/17
Every year, OCA begins the AAHM by bringing together Asian American government liaisons, Asian American community leaders, and community media to kickoff the celebration of Asian American Heritage Month in Chicago every year. Each year, we put a spot light on a growing Asian American Community in Chicago.
See Events for more details.
Annual OCA Chicago Scholarship Gala
Annually, we engage, empower, celebrate, award and connect by having an annual Gala. Scholarships are awarded at the Gala to deserving Asian American high school and college students.
We have awarded over $2,500 scholarships to deserving students who needed the funds to help them with attending college. All of the students are at the top of their classes with financial needs. Their stories are heart wrenching and make us want to help more students who are in need. We raise the scholarship funds every year and give out the awards and celebrate at the Gala. Since 2010, $80,000 has been awarded.
Tentative Planned for 2017:
a. Monthly Youth leadership sessions: we are initiating a monthly Youth leadership session designed for high school seniors and/or college freshman. These sessions will cover leadership development, communications skills, financial management and other life skills.
Tentative Planned sessions for 2017:
b. APAI U: Leadership Training – The interactive college leadership training program involves hands-on exercises, small group discussions, and presentations led by two qualified APIA facilitators. The one day training assembles students from each region and focuses on self-awareness, team-building, and direct action organizing. Participants will be asked to challenge themselves, share their experiences, and develop leadership tools in order to effectively serve as catalysts for change.
Knowing that cultural influences impact how one leads, our mission is to provide Asian/Pacific Islander American student leaders and activists with a unique training opportunity which keeps in mind the viewpoints and experiences of APIAs and students of color. The program focuses on the development of leadership and organizational skills that are relevant to APIA campuses and communities.